Enclosed herewith I hand you Part Four. This part will show you why what you think,
or do, or feel, is an indication of what you are.
Thought is energy and energy is power, and it is because all the religions,
sciences and philosophies with which the world has heretofore been familiar have
been based upon the manifestation of this energy instead of the energy itself, that
the world has been limited to effects, while causes have been ignored or
For this reason we have God and the Devil in religion, positive and negative in
science, and good and bad in philosophy.
The Master Key reverses the process; it is interested only in cause, and the
letters received from students tell a marvelous story; they indicate conclusively
that students are finding the cause whereby they may secure for themselves health,
harmony, abundance, and whatever else may be necessary for their welfare and
Life is expressive and it is our business to express ourselves harmoniously and
constructively. Sorrow, misery, unhappiness, disease and poverty are not
necessities and we are constantly eliminating them.
But this process of eliminating consists in rising above and beyond limitation of
any kind. He who has strengthened and purified his thought need not concern himself
about microbes, and he who has come into an understanding of the law of abundance
will go at once to the source of supply.
It is thus that fate, fortune, and destiny will be controlled as readily as a
captain controls his ship, or an engineer, his train.
1. The “I” of you is not the physical body; that is simply an instrument which the
“I” uses to carry out its purposes; the “I” cannot be the Mind, for the mind is
simply another instrument which the “I” uses with which to think, reason, and plan.
2. The “I” must be something which controls and directs both the body and the mind;
something which determines what they shall do and how they shall act. When you come
into a realization of the true nature of this “I”, you will enjoy a sense of power
which you have never before known.
3. Your personality is made up of countless individual characteristics,
peculiarities, habits, and traits of character; these are the result of your former
method of thinking, but they have nothing to do with the real “I.”
4. When you say “I think” the “I” tells the mind what it shall think; when you say
“I go” the “I” tells the physical body where it shall go; the real nature of this
“I” is spiritual, and is the source of the real power which comes to men and women
when they come into a realization of their true nature.
5. The greatest and most marvelous power which this “I” has been given is the power
to think, but few people know how to think constructively, or correctly,
consequently they achieve only indifferent results. Most people allow their
thoughts to dwell on selfish purposes, the inevitable result of an infantile mind.
When a mind becomes mature, it understands that the germ of defeat is in every
6. The trained mind knows that every transaction must benefit every person who is
in any way connected with the transaction, and any attempt to profit by the
weakness, ignorance or necessity of another will inevitably operate to his
7. This is because the individual is a part of the Universal. A part cannot
antagonize any other part, but, on the contrary, the welfare of each part depends
upon a recognition of the interest of the whole.
8. Those who recognize this principle have a great advantage in the affairs of
life. They do not wear themselves out. They can eliminate vagrant thoughts with
facility. They can readily concentrate to the highest possible degree on any
subject. They do not waste time or money upon objects which can be of no possible
benefit to them.
9. If you cannot do these things it is because you have thus far not made the
necessary effort. Now is the time to make the effort. The result will be exactly in
proportion to the effort expended. One of the strongest affirmations which you can
use for the purpose of strengthening the will and realizing your power to
accomplish, is, “I can be what I will to be.”
10. Every time you repeat it realize who and what this “I” is; try to come into a
thorough understanding of the true nature of the “I”; if you do, you will become
invincible; that is, provided that your objects and purposes are constructive and
are therefore in harmony with the creative principle of the Universe.
11. If you make use of this affirmation, use it continuously, night and morning,
and as often during the day as you think of it, and continue to do so until it
becomes a part of you; form the habit.
12. Unless you do this, you had better not start at all, because modern psychology
tells us that when we start something and do not complete it, or make a resolution
and do not keep it, we are forming the habit of failure; absolute, ignominious
failure. If you do not intend to do a thing, do not start; if you do start, see it
through even if the heavens fall; if you make up your mind to do something, do it;
let nothing, no one, interfere; the “I” in you has determined, the thing is
settled; the die is cast, there is no longer any argument.
13. If you carry out this idea, beginning with small things which you know you can
control and gradually increase the effort, but never under any circumstances
allowing your “I” to be overruled, you will find that you can eventually control
yourself, and many men and women have found to their sorrow that it is easier to
control a kingdom than to control themselves.
14. But when you have learned to control yourself you will have found the “World
Within” which controls the world without; you will have become irresistible; men
and things will respond to your every wish without any apparent effort on your
15. This is not so strange or impossible as it may appear when you remember that
the “World Within” is controlled by the “I” and that this “I” is a part or one with
the Infinite “I” which is the Universal Energy or Spirit, usually called God.
16. This is not a mere statement or theory made for the purpose of confirming or
establishing an idea, but it is a fact which has been accepted by the best
religious thought as well as the best scientific thought.
17. Herbert Spender said: “Amid all the mysteries by which we are surrounded,
nothing is more certain than that we are ever in the presence of an Infinite and
Eternal Energy from which all things proceed.”
18. Lyman Abbott, in an address delivered before the Alumni of Bangor Theological
Seminary, said: “We are coming to think of God as dwelling in man rather than as
operating on men from without.”
19. Science goes a little way in its search and stops. Science finds the
Eternal Energy, but Religion finds the Power behind this energy and locates
it within man. But this is by no means a new discovery; the Bible says exactly the
same thing, and the language is just as plain and convincing: “Know ye not that ye
are the temple of the living God?” Here, then, is the secret of the wonderful
creative power of the “World Within.”
20. Here is the secret of power, of mastery. To overcome does not mean to go
without things. Self-denial is not success. We cannot give unless we get; we cannot
be helpful unless we are strong. The Infinite is not a bankrupt and we who are the
representatives of Infinite power should not be bankrupts either, and if we wish to
be of service to others we must have power and more power, but to get it we must
give it; we must be of service.
21. The more we give the more we shall get; we must become a channel whereby the
Universal can express activity. The Universal is constantly seeking to express
itself, to be of service, and it seeks the channel whereby it can find the greatest
activity, where it can do the most good, where it can be of greatest service to
22. The Universal cannot express through you as long as you are busy with your
plans, your own purposes; quiet the senses, seek inspiration, focus the mental
activity on the within, dwell in the consciousness of your unity with Omnipotence.
“Still water runs deep;” contemplate the multitudinous opportunities to which you
have spiritual access by the Omnipresence of power.
23. Visualize the events, circumstances and conditions which these spiritual
connections may assist in manifesting. Realize the fact that the essence and soul
of all things is spiritual and that the spiritual is the real, because it is the
life of all there is; when the spirit is gone, the life is gone; it is dead; it has
ceased to exist.
24. These mental activities pertain to the world within, to the world of cause; and
conditions and circumstances which result are the effect. It is thus that you
become a creator. This is important work, and the higher, loftier, grander and more
noble ideals which you can conceive, the more important the work will become.
25. Over-work or over-play or over-bodily activity of any kind produces conditions
of mental apathy and stagnation which makes it impossible to do the more important
work which results in a realization of conscious power. We should, therefore, seek
the Silence frequently. Power comes through repose; it is in the Silence that we
can be still, and when we are still, we can think, and thought is the secret of all
26. Thought is a mode of motion and is carried by the law of vibration the same as
light or electricity. It is given vitality by the emotions through the law of love;
it takes form and expression by the law of growth; it is a product of the spiritual
“I”, hence its Divine, spiritual, and creative nature.
27. From this it is evident that in order to express power, abundance or any other
constructive purpose, the emotions must be called upon to give feeling to the
thought so that it will take form. How may this purpose be accomplished? This is
the vital point; how may we develop the faith, the courage, the feeling, which will
result in accomplishment?
28. The reply is, by exercise; mental strength is secured in exactly the same way
that physical strength is secured, by exercise. We think something, perhaps with
difficulty the first time; we think the same thing again, and it becomes easier
this time; we think it again and again; it then becomes a mental habit. We continue
to think the same thing; finally it becomes automatic; we can no longer help
thinking this thing; we are now positive of what we think; there is no longer any
doubt about it. We are sure; we know.
29. Last week I asked you to relax, to let go physically. This week, I am going to
ask you to let go mentally. If you practiced the exercise given you last week
fifteen or twenty minutes a day in accordance with the instructions, you can no
doubt relax physically; and anyone who cannot consciously do this quickly and
completely is not a master of himself. He has not obtained freedom; he is still a
slave to conditions. But I shall assume that you have mastered the exercise and are
ready to take the next step, which is mental freedom.
30. This week, after taking your usual position, remove all tension by completely
relaxing, then mentally let go of all adverse conditions, such as hatred, anger,
worry, jealousy, envy, sorrow, trouble or disappointment of any kind.
31. You may say that you cannot “let go” of these things, but you can; you can do
so by mentally determining to do so, by voluntary intention and persistence.
32. The reason that some cannot do this is because they allow themselves to be
controlled by the emotions instead of by their intellect. But those who will be
guided by the intellect will gain the victory. You will not succeed the first time
you try, but practice makes perfect, in this as in everything else, and you must
succeed in dismissing, eliminating and completely destroying these negative and
destructive thoughts; because they are the seed which is constantly germinating
into discordant conditions of every conceivable kind and description.
“There is nothing truer than that the quality of thought which we entertain
correlates certain externals in the outside world. This is the Law from which there
is no escape. And it is this Law, this correlative of the thought with its object,
that from time immemorial has led the people to believe in special providence”
Master Key System http://masterkey.takingcare.ws